"Your body is the first thing any child of man ever wanted. Therefore dispose yourself to be loved, to be wanted, to be available. Be there for them with a vengeance. Be a gracious, bending woman. Incline your ear, your heart, your hands to them.... To be a Mother is to be the sacrament - the effective symbol - of place. Mothers do not make homes, they are our home." from Bed and Board, Robert Farrar Capon

Friday, November 18, 2011

What should I do today?

There are certainly days when, after wiping many, many runny noses (or rather the same two runny noses, many, many times) I feel like it'd be so much more fulfilling, profitable, and basically better for my own pride, to be pouring out my life in a more amazing way than housework and child raising. I can imagine myself gloriously, but with much humility and wisdom, taking
time to minister to a fellow church member, building her up in the most holy faith. Or, how about me "reaching out" to a stranger at the grocery store with the love of Jesus...? Or, how about me...? There's just no end to the glory stories I can imagine myself in the center of! I can easily fall into looking for neighbors "out there" to love. 
This article, Locus and Focus: God’s Will for Your Daily Life (also a radio broadcast, which is slightly different and I actually enjoy even more) is one of my all time favorites about daily vocation. Todd Wilken explains vocation with the simple questions "Where am I, and who am I with?"

Excerpt from article:
  The unspoken assumption goes something like, "Well, if God’s will were obvious, everyone would know what it is, right?" Wrong. Contrary to what almost every book or tape on the market will tell you, God’s will for your daily life IS obvious. The only reason we don’t know what it is because we ignore the obvious. 
  God shows you His will every day in a hundred ways. His will is right there under your nose. His will is as close as your spouse, your kids, your family, your friends and your co-workers. His will is right there, where you are and where they are.

Excerpt from audio broadcast:
What if you're a mother who stays home? Well your home is your workplace, and generally if you're staying home that means you've got kids around. That means they're your work; the house, the kids, the kitchen, the laundry, all those things. A women standing with a laundry basket of dirty towels in front of the washing machine need only ask herself this question, "Where am I? I'm in the laundry room standing in front of the washing machine with a handful of dirty towels. What does God want me to do? Wash the towels!" It's not big; it's not flashy, but it is where God has put you.

Back to me speaking:
What a relief! I can be at peace knowing that God put me just where I am, with all the dirty laundry and the "little neighbors" I am with every day. I don't have to search any farther than that to know what God's will for my life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment