"Your body is the first thing any child of man ever wanted. Therefore dispose yourself to be loved, to be wanted, to be available. Be there for them with a vengeance. Be a gracious, bending woman. Incline your ear, your heart, your hands to them.... To be a Mother is to be the sacrament - the effective symbol - of place. Mothers do not make homes, they are our home." from Bed and Board, Robert Farrar Capon

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

On my way to Emmaus


Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken
-Luke 24:25

It was Easter Sunday, so our pastor read out of Luke about the men on the road to Emmaus. Most of us at least know the gist of the story. Two disciples left Jerusalem after Jesus had been crucified only to meet Jesus without realizing who he was. It is easy to look down our smug noses at these people who could not seem to see past their own shoe laces (or sandal straps). Jesus plainly said that He would be crucified and raise from the dead! What was wrong with them?


Yet, Emmaus may be closer than I like to think. 


It was a typical day, my daughters were their happy, needy selves; both wanting 100% of my time. My husband was getting home soon so dinner needed to be ready. The laundry pile seemed higher than ever and my list of daily jobs wasn't done yet. I needed a savior. You know, someone to come in and make everything right. Someone to get the children in line, the laundry done, the dinner cooked, and give me a little "me" time to boot. After all, isn't that why Jesus came? To make my batting average go up, my children shape up, turn my husband into the gracious neighbor I've always dreamt of - waiting on me hand and foot? Then a friend called and asked how it was going. She understands having two very young kids and a third on the way, so she often will say hi. I told her all of my many, many troubles. 


" And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people: And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done. Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulcher; And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive."


Ok, I may have said it differently, but it was the same disappointed hope. I expected that since I am a Christian, things are supposed to get better. Jesus should hear my cries for help and send some kind of messenger to make everything the way I want it! He should say something like, "I know that you've had a hard day. I've had hard days too you know." But no - He says (and sometimes He sounds like my husband, a pastor's wife, or even my next door neighbor) "Oh you fool and slow of heart to believe! Didn't you know that I meet you in the mundane diapers, dinner, and dirty clothes? That is why you have them! Without trouble, you would never call on me, so I take on the mask of a traveler who doesn't know about the latest news from Jerusalem or maybe even about the children and husband I gave to you."


Then my understanding became opened and I realized that I am actually the most blessed person alive. I had been talking on the phone with Jesus for the past few minutes and through confession and forgiveness I can begin again, washed by His Word. The laundry still needs folded, dinner needs cooked, and my children need direction. Yet, what else would I rather be doing? Being a daughter of God is the highest calling. I could almost start running down the city streets caroling and waving hi to the blessed old building and loan like Jimmy Stewart; but I had better put the roast in the oven instead.

4 comments:

  1. I talked to Jesus on the phone today, too!
    Such a blessing to have friends like Him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus should hear my cries for help and send some kind of messenger to make everything the way I want it

    Or at least just tell me I'm right on this one point, right? Just give me that much today, Jesus...

    (And what's with all the Jimmy Stewart talk lately? :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow it doesn't seem expedient for you to go out and run in the street delirious with joy. But, putting the roast in the oven, I bet your husband can get behind that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - What a coincidence! I'm very thankful to have many friends like Him :-)

    Leah - Seems like He never tells me I'm right. Hmmm, I wonder why?

    Cathy - Yes, I think my husband appreciates my "joy' manifesting in a roast well cooked.

    ReplyDelete